Insolvency and Bankruptcy
Best Insolvency & Bankruptcy Lawyers in India
Insolvency and bankruptcy in India had become one of the biggest challenges for the Indian economy in the last decade especially since the insolvency law in India was ancient and archaic. Recognizing that reforms in the insolvency and bankruptcy regime are critical for improving the business environment and alleviating distressed credit markets, the Government of India introduced the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code Bill in November 2015, drafted by a specially constituted ‘Bankruptcy Law Reforms Committee’ (BLRC) under the Ministry of Finance. After a public consultation process and recommendations from a joint committee of Parliament, both houses of Parliament passed the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 (“Code/IBC”).
The revised insolvency and bankruptcy law offers a uniform, comprehensive insolvency legislation encompassing all companies, partnerships and individuals (other than financial firms). The Government of India is proposing a separate framework for bankruptcy resolution in failing banks and financial sector entities.
- The Code proposes a paradigm shift from the existing ‘Debtor in possession’ to a ‘Creditor in control’ regime.
- The Code aims to resolve insolvencies in a strict time-bound manner, where the moratorium period is of 180 days (extendable up to 270 days) for the Company, and, the Insolvency Professional shall take over the management of the Company.
- The Code clearly defines the ‘order of priority’ or the waterfall mechanism. Government dues shall now be junior to most others.
- Antecedent transactions can be investigated and in case of any illegal diversion of assets, personal contribution can be ordered by tribunal.
- The Code has an overriding effect on all other laws relating to insolvency and bankruptcy.
Since its inception A&A has been regularly appearing for their clients in all Company Law Tribunals and helping their clients recover their rightful dues. We have a team of experienced insolvency and bankruptcy lawyers, they handling cases for and against financial creditors as well as operational creditors in a time bound and cost-effective manner. A&A if amongst the select few law firms in India who have been representing its clients across all 11 benches of the National Company Law Tribunals and also in the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal.
Ahlawat and Associates is one of the leading Insolvency and Bankruptcy Law Firms headquartered in Delhi NCR serving clients PAN India including cities such as Bangalore, Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad, Chandigarh, Pune, Gurugram, Kolkata.
Get in touch with us today
We can be reached at