Media and Entertainment
The advertising, media and entertainment industry has seen copious growth over the last decade. Media in India has been mostly self-regulated.
However, the production of media is a multi-layered process involving various players such as producers, artists, agents, journalists, publishers, firms and others.
Interacting with such a wide variety of audience ensues many legal confusions and complicated agreements. The intangible and creative aspect of the materials complicates the process further. Thus the need for legal assistance.
With more than a decade of experience in the entertainment industry, A&A has gained a reputation that places them amongst the best media & entertainment law firms in Mumbai (India).
Television and Motion PicturesAdvising on acquisition of copyright works such as plays, films, scripts, books, format adaptations and format licensing. The team at A&A regularly advise clients and act on their behalf as legal counsels for structuring and negotiating deals across various production and distribution models for syndication and licensing of content for international and domestic film distribution across all traditional and new platforms.
Talent management and Brand EndorsementsA&A has expertise in negotiating and advising celebrity clients in respect of talent and celebrity management arrangements, reality television shows, OTT Shows, concert agreements, contracts for live performances across the world, brand endorsements, music, publishing, internet and digital media, social media advertising amongst others.
Internet and Digital MediaA&A’s Media & Entertainment law team assists emerging and established Internet and Digital Media companies with their legal requirements in this rapidly evolving market structure. Along with this A&A has also advised clients in technology and intellectual property transactions, matters involving online speech, privacy rights, advertising, e-commerce and consumer protection, and regulatory issues.
PublishingA&A’s team of Media & Entertainment lawyers also assist in navigating the legal issues of an evolving Publishing industry. One can call on our expertise at any point in the creative and commercial life cycle of a project. Our cumulative knowledge of traditional and digital publishing, from deals to disputes allow us to exhibit related industry expertise in areas such as interactive entertainment, books, publishing houses and others. We provide pragmatic and creative solutions to individual challenges.
A&A offers assistance to both domestic and international clients on India’s comprehensive entertainment, media and advertising laws and also provide advisory services on issues relating to gaming & sports.
Our lawyers have a strong background of representing clients in issues pertaining to telecast rights, intellectual property disputes, antitrust and pricing issues amongst others. Our services are listed as follow:
- Pre-broadcast Counselling
- Talent Contracts
- Artist Contracts
- Influencers Contracts
- Director Contracts
- Lead Artist Contracts
- Music Director Contracts
- Writer Contracts
- Agency Contracts
- Distribution Contracts
- Syndication Contracts
- Distribution, broadcast, syndication rights and deals;
- Television format rights and script options and purchases;
- Piracy & Fair Use
- Acquisition of pre-existing copyright works, like books, films, plays and others
- Format adaptations and format licensing
- Multi-media, digital and new technology services;
- Intellectual Property issues including acquisition and management, digital rights management, copyright and designs law, moral rights, passing off
- Strategic alliances and partnerships, acquisitions and related agreements;
- Dispute resolution, Arbitration and Litigation.
- Worked with a major publishing house on a variety of intellectual property, commercial and data privacy matters
- Advised up-and-coming and established authors on a range of publishing deals and copyright issues
- Advised publishing start-ups on commercial and data protection issues
- Advised our client in financing of new television productions
- Advised our clients in relation to broadcast issues
With more than a decade of industry experience in Media & Entertainment laws, A&A is one of India’s preeminent entertainment, media and technology law firms.
Our ability to provide clients with creative and cost-effective legal solutions, tailored to their specific requirements has gained us much respect over the years.
At A&A, we pride ourselves on the scope of our network of professional relationships across the entertainment industry, both in India and globally.
1. What can a media and entertainment lawyer do for you?Entertainment lawyers represent and protect the interest of productions, creatives, talents, companies in multiple areas of the entertainment industry, such as: films, music videos, television, OTT, theatre, publishing and others.
2. What are the types of media law?Media law is a vast field in itself. Communication and media laws covers an area of law which involves dealing in all legal and corporate issues in the broadcast, media and entertainment industry.These laws stretch over various legal fields, including but not limited to corporate, finance, intellectual property, publicity and privacy in the entertainment and media industry.
3. How to select the best media and entertainment law firm?While selecting a media and entertainment law firm, one should keep in mind the expertise. An experienced team of dedicated entertainment and specialists who work exclusively on media and entertainment laws could greatly benefit a company dealing issues in the media, entertainment and sports industry.
4. Why choose A&A for media and entertainment?Ahlawat & Associates’ media and entertainment practice boasts of a dedicated team of entertainment experts who have gained several years of experience working in sports, media and entertainment.In the media, we’re assisting our key clients with innovation and change of our own. Whether you’re in TV, film, social media, digital commerce, gambling, news, sports, data, entertainment, talent, media technology, a brand owner, a rightsholder, an agency, a financier and whether you are a solo entrepreneur or are running a global business, we think you’d find our entertainment specialists quite insightful and dynamic in their approach.
The Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) issued the guidelines for influencer advertising on digital media on May 27, 2021. The guidelines will apply to the commercial messages or advertisements published on or after 14th June 2021. The guidelines have been introduced with the aim of protecting the interest of consumers such that they must …
To boost the flagging economy, the Government of India last year announced certain changes to the Foreign Direct Investment Policy (“FDI Policy”) under which investment norms were relaxed in certain sectors. Pursuant to the said announcement, Press Note no. 4 dated September 18, 2019, was released which detailed the amendments to the consolidated FDI Policy …
Get in touch with us today
We can be reached at